background

Monday, June 11, 2018

Departure


My honey brought me to the airport and-all the way to security checkin. After a heart felt good buy and a kiss worthy of the Hallmark Channel (this a family friendly blog :)
 I waived and went on to my gate…..to wait. 

I retired from American Airlines after 21 years of dedication and stress. Part of my retirement includes flight benefits.
Waiting is what “non-revenue” stand-by passengers do. WAIT. I am now #4 on the list. It is 2 hours before departure so time will tell if I get on this flight or roll to the next…..then the next…. While this not my first rodeo, my YaYas say that every time flying with me is like flying for the first time. Mostly because I am always is such wonder of the entire airport process. The size of the terminals, the people, the sights and sounds, and every time is a different experience. A lot has changed since I began flying in 1985. Computers have made the process less a mystery. All information is posted on a tV screen 
for revenue and non-revenue passengers.

Great news! They called my name, I am the only “non-rev” to get on!!!!  Let me first tell you that as a standby, we are told to share that information with paying passengers. Understandable, they probably paid dearly for their assigned seat. So, knowing that, when I got to my seat with my boarding pass, a man was sitting there. He asked if I would trade so he could be by his family. As a kindness gesture, I would have done that anyway. However, when I went t0 his assigned seat, another man was in that seat!! I asked the flight attendant for help. When she talked to the man in my assigned seat, he took out $100 and asked if I would take that for the trade. NO! That was just wrong but it put me in a weird spot. The flight attendant was concerned I really didn’t want to change (she was right cause it was a exit row window with LOTS of leg room), but I knew it was the right thing to do so he could be with his family.  So I flew the 9 hours in a seat that was pretty cramped but at least it was a window. Not gonna complain…
I got on and at no cost.  
God IS GOOD






No comments:

Post a Comment