I got a new GPS. Garmin 42L. A step up from my last one. I like the option to choose "no highways and no tollways". That keeps me off the super slab 6 lane highways. I am a backroads girl all the way. So I have my destination set and this time I have my camera too. I especially love the courthouses and churches.
I listen to audio books as I travel. Having someone read to you as you drive is really enjoyable. I love James Patterson and Sandra Brown.
A beautiful sunny day and the hot Texas weather
as my trip begins.
I want to ask the same questions all children ask: Why is the sky so blue? I love God's vision.
Meridian Texas has an old courthouse with a unique clock-I think. Not my favorite but worth a photo.
Next on the route- Hillsboro-very nice. Maybe I should stop by their outlet mall on the way back :)
The next 50 miles is vast and dotted with small towns. A lot of fields that hold a farmers bounty. Hard work but my eyes see beauty. Even though most of Texas is in a drought, the farmers are holding on. A beautiful cotton field that looks about ready to harvest. I stopped for some hands on. The raw cotton still in the field feels just like a cotton ball at the store.
The plant itself is sharp and unfriendly. I have been told in the old days, gloves were worn but pickers still came away with bloody fingers.
I look out across the acres and wonder back to a time long ago when men, women and children picked the cotton by hand. My grandfather for one. Hot and brutal but they did it. It was their way of life.
Corsicana has a beautiful Methodist Church. I think of all the people who must pass through these doors to worship our Lord.
When I look at this courthouse, I see strength. Strong and firm. A sure sign of authority.
In between Corsicana and Maybank, I came upon a field being harvested. I believe it is Maze. The new tractors have air conditioning and awesome sound systems. Maybe this farmer is have a good harvest.
As I near my friends lake house, I pass a beautiful field of wild flowers with an oak grove. I have to stop. I just love wild flowers and trees. Trees this big and old surely have a story to tell. How many travelers have sought shelter under its canopy.
And then I reach my destination.
What a fun post! I love road trips! Looks like you had great weather and the views are wonderful!
ReplyDeleteDeanna
What a lovely drive. I felt like I was right there in the car with you! Wouldn't that be fun :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat photos!
~Cinnamon